Friday, August 21, 2009

Oklahoma, Shawnee Visit

We were in Oklahoma a looong time. Not complaining, but we were busy! We were able to be around this year for the annual Whitlow Family Reunion. It was so nice to see so many family members. There was a really big group this year so we picked a great year to come! Of course, I didn't take a picture. I just don't think to take my camera out, I have to get better about this!

Before the reunion we made a trip to Oklahoma City to pick up supplies and we were able to go to Ryan's house and have lunch with him. We had a nice visit and ate some yummy pizza. I don't remember the name of the place but it was some kind of "New York" pizza by the slice. It was like New York pizza only they actually had places to sit!

These pictures are from the second half of the Shawnee visit. I had really been wanting to take Callie to the Oklahoma City Zoo. It is in my opinion, the best zoo! Of course, this is the zoo that I grew up going to and have taken all my kids too, except Callie. I knew it was a long shot since Oklahoma in July and August can be a tad hot. Well, God is good. He blessed us with a cooler day that was perfect zoo weather. We had the best time. Callie loves animals and she really enjoyed it. The boys hung in there. The big boys are getting a little past zoo activities, Gannon doesn't really care for animals, but they had a good time.

Callie talking to the white peacock.


Look how close the lions were! We've never been there when they were this close and this active for this long. I think all the animals were excited about the weather.

Lion and Callie having a stare down.

I'm not sure what this was about, but since it looks like I a sweet moment so I had to include it. I'm sure right after this someone was punching someone!

Callie looking at the rhinoceros. This is one of the oldest parts left at the zoo. They have done so much remodeling in recent years it doesn't look much like the zoo I used to go to, but the elephant/rhino area is about the same. Except no elephants! The two elephants are at the Tulsa Zoo hoping to have baby elephants. Oh well.

The obligatory statue picture. I have pictures of all my kids at different times on different animals at the OKC Zoo. Glad I got to get one with Callie!

We opted not to eat at the zoo. Been there, done that, not interested in doing it again! So, we drove over to Pops. A fairly new attraction in Arcadia, OK that sells every kind of pop you can imagine. As well as being a restaurant and gas station. It is on Route 66 so there is a lot of traffic and has turned into quite popular place from what I understand. We had a good time there and the food was really good. The boys loved picking out pop. We don't normally drink pop, at least the kids don't, so this was really a treat for them.
Apparently Garrett has had a little too much Dublin Dr. Pepper!


Outside of Pops


Down the street from Pops is the Round Barn. This has been there forever, I've always heard of it but I don't think I've ever been there. Callie of course chose to swing from the railings. This is always her preferred activity if there is something handy to swing on !


We finished of this particular day by going to Clay's house and going to dinner. Cousin Mallori, Callie and Cousin Madison at Clay's house.

Cousin Mason and Gannon. I guess by the looks of Gannon's thumb he has just hitched a ride on Mason's trike!
Clay tickling the little boys. Some things never change!

Look at this good-looking group! They are getting too big in my opinion. I'm really trying to figure out to get time to stop :(.

At the end of the night they opted for a group hug!

This was the day we were leaving Shawnee. Grandma had gotten all the kids Pop's t-shirts. Don't they look cute!

I always wait to the last minute of the last day to get a picture of the kids with their grandparents or whoever we are visiting. Of course this doesn't ever work because someone doesn't want to cooperate and you don't have a chance to do it later. Oh well! Grandma and Grandpa with the kids in front of Grandma and Grandpa's house.
Mama and Callie gearing up for another car trip.
How cute is this. I rolled the windows down and Callie was screaming bye all the way down the road. Can you see all the little waves in the car?

We had such a nice trip. Again, I wish I had taken more pictures. I am not good at remembering to get my camera out. We got to spend a lot of time with a lot of family. It is always so hard to leave. After three year we realized how far away we actually live.


It's ok, I promise we'll come back!


















































No comments: